Full-Time Vice President, Alberta Region (Calgary or Edmonton)
Job ID: 7099
Working Business Language: English
This role requires you to work at a Wawanesa Office (in either Calgary or Edmonton) a minimum of 3 times per week. You will also be required to travel for meetings as necessary.
The Wawanesa Mutual Insurance Company, founded in 1896, is one of Canada’s largest mutual insurers, with over $4 billion in annual revenue and assets of $12 billion. Wawanesa Mutual, with executive offices in Winnipeg, is the parent company of Wawanesa General, which offers property and casualty insurance in California and Oregon; Wawanesa Life, which provides life insurance products and services throughout Canada; and Western Financial Group, which distributes personal and business insurance across Canada. Wawanesa proudly serves more than two million members in Canada and the United States. Wawanesa actively gives back to organizations that strengthen communities where it operates, donating well above internationally recognized benchmarks for excellence in corporate philanthropy. Learn more at wawanesa.com.
We are currently looking for dedicated, driven, and enthusiastic individuals who thrive in an environment that welcomes change and are looking for an opportunity for diverse experience and advancement on a growing team.
The Vice President, Alberta Region serves as a strategic, change leader and key representative of the region. They carry out Wawanesa’s Mission, embody the Vision and live the Wawanesa Values every day. In this capacity, the VP, Alberta Region is responsible to ensure the effective execution of Wawanesa’s strategy within their region, lead the regional management team and support operationalization of the policies, procedures, and structure directed by Executive office. Leading a region with over 600 insurance professionals, this role is responsible for delivering over $1B in Gross Written Premiums.
- Lead with a customer centric focus and acts a bridge between the region and Executive Office. Empowers regional leadership team to support and execute key Executive Office initiatives and plans.
- Accountable for the financial targets and metrics for the region, including Policy Count, Combined Ratio, Gross Premiums Written, Profitability and Employee Engagement.
- Act as an advocate and represents the business requirements of the region in all initiatives, plans, and marketing that are critical to the success of the brokers in the region.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with key customers and brokers
- Champion the organization’s business transformation efforts and provides a governance structure in the region that ensures accountability and enables the predictability of the outcomes of each transformation initiative.
- Implement our underwriting strategy in the region, including communication of and compliance with Wawanesa’s underwriting guidelines.
- Manage, direct and monitor the effective underwriting and negotiating of key accounts and programs in the Region.
- Manage all Regional Claims Operations and departments
- Oversee and ensures achievement of claims processing operations by driving superior customer service, superior results and championing continuous improvement
- Manager the Business Development team within the Region, including individual Life Business Development
- Prepare annual business plans and budgets with input from Executive Office
- Responsible for the region’s broker management and relations; accountable for the region’s customer service and customer satisfaction.
- Serve as a regional representative to the industry and the community.
- Ensure compliance with the structure, policies and processes designed by the Executive Office.
- Maintain awareness of industry/competitor activities and trends within the region. Provides this ‘market intelligence’ to Executive Office as required/appropriate.
- Creates an effective work environment by developing a common vision, setting clear objectives, expecting teamwork, recognizing outstanding performance, and maintaining open communications
- Develops staff through coaching, providing performance feedback, providing effective performance assessments, and establishing performance & development plans
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum 15+ years’ progressively senior experience in Property and Casualty leadership, ideally with a multi-line exposure.
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally with an advanced degree and/or industry designation.
- Broad view of the industry and sound business instincts coupled with comprehensive knowledge of insurance products, coverages, underwriting practices, and claims processes
- Customer-focused, with a deep understanding of the marketplace issues and trends
- Financial management acumen coupled with exceptional commercial instincts
- Experience in successful implementation of large-scale business transformation programs and projects. Strong integration experience with large change programs, particularly within functional areas
- Proven strategic leader with the ability to direct and engage diverse property and casualty teams and act as a change leader for the region
- Strong written and oral communication skills; must be able to strongly influence others; be persuasive and yet a good listener and assimilator of ideas and perspectives
- Ability to build collaborative relationships across all stakeholders, including our independent insurance brokers.
Wawanesa is proud to be one of Manitoba’s Top Employers for 2023 recognizing that we are an exceptional place to work!
Wawanesa provides its employees with a respectful, challenging and rewarding environment where they can maximize their potential while contributing to the company’s goals. Our full-time permanent employees are provided with highly competitive compensation packages (salaries, generous vacation allowance, leave top up, annual bonus plan, premium free benefits and a pension plan). Wawanesa provides a stable environment for its employees in today’s challenging markets.
Wawanesa is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering a diverse workforce that is equitable and inclusive for all. Wawanesa provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to an individual’s protected status: race/ethnicity, colour, religion, creed, sex or gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family or marital status, pregnancy/childbirth or related conditions, national origin, disability, military or veteran status, or any other protected status. Accommodations are available upon request throughout all aspects of the selection process. Candidates requiring accommodations may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org.
266 total views, 1 today