Temporary Summer Student, Operations
Markel Canada Limited is an insurance company established in 1966, with Canadian offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. We pride ourselves on being a leader in liability with sector specialties. Our educated underwriters work with clients to offer optimal risk management solutions, and our dedicated claims team ensure each claim is handled promptly, professionally and fairly.
Your success is our success — that’s the Markel Style.
Our parent company, Markel International, is a subsidiary of Markel Corporation, a US-based holding company for insurance and investment operations around the world.
The Operations Department is focused on supporting all business units in the company from a systems, business analysis and data management perspective. The department is also responsible for overseeing the core system replacement initiative.
Duties and accountabilities
This position will involve assisting the Operations Team with various tasks in support of Markel Canada’s Core System Replacement Project. Markel Canada are undertaking a complete replacement of our core underwriting and claims system. Over the summer we will be working on various projects in support of this initiative including data mapping and migration, scoping as well as developing and formatting new policy document templates.
This position will work alongside our Project Manager and Business Analysts to provide administrative support for various tasks including the following:
- Data entry
- Policy document formatting (MS Word)
- Scheduling Meetings (MS Outlook)
- Taking minutes for meetings
- Assisting with user acceptance testing of the new system
Skills, knowledge and experience
The successful candidate will possess the following:
- Proven organizational and communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Detail oriented and ability to prioritize
- Ability to work independently
- Proficient computer skills and fluency in MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Professional, friendly and courteous in all interactions
- Team player approach
Pursuit of excellence
- Consistently provides quality work products
- Adapts behaviour to reflect the style of others to foster effective working relationships
- Finds the most efficient and practical means of overcoming challenges
- Actively looks for solutions to customer problems
- Seeks to further knowledge of customer needs
- Builds relationships with customers and responds to needs by demonstrating tact, empathy and professionalism
- Seeks the best and most direct option to accomplish tasks
- Demonstrates effective organisation skills
- Applies logic and draws accurate conclusions from information
- Helps others succeed
- Approaches change in a positive manner
- Listens for and acts on key information
- Holds self and others accountable to ethical standards
- Takes ownership and accountability for own development
- Shows accountability and resilience in achieving goals
How to ApplyMarkel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you. Interested applicants may apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org Markel Canada is committed to a barrier free work environment and to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. The Company will work with all potential candidates during the screening and interview process to meet any specific needs.
433 total views, 3 today