The insurance policies offered, and underwriting guidelines followed, by most providers were designed in the 1970s. Many of these policies and guidelines are no longer relevant. So, why are they still offered or used? At Square One, we were wondering the same thing and decided to do something about it.
We are the only true online home insurance provider in Canada. And, we’re the only ones in Canada that let clients choose what property they want to insure so they only pay for what they need. We’re committed to making it convenient and easy for clients to do business with us. So, it should be no surprise that we’re obsessed with delivering the very best online and offline experiences to our clients.
As a product and underwriting specialist, you work directly with the company’s leadership team to develop new product offerings and underwriting guidelines. Your efforts contribute to the growth and profitability of the company’s home insurance portfolio. Your success in this role comes from superior analytical, communication and research skills. You use your creativity, inquisitiveness and resourcefulness to identify opportunities and overcome challenges. You are both detail-oriented and organized, handling multiple projects and tasks with ease.
One of the things you enjoy most about Square One is the supportive team environment. You know you’re never set up for failure; instead, you get all the coaching, mentoring, training, and tools you need for continued success.
By working at Square One, you are directly involved in all product and underwriting initiatives. As such, you have many important responsibilities, including:
- Conducting research on new markets, products and risks.
- Developing new product offerings and underwriting guidelines.
- Identifying general rate implications of product or underwriting changes.
- Ensuring the company complies with legal, licensing and regulatory requirements.
- Reviewing and, if appropriate, approving underwriting requests from clients and agents.
- Keeping apprised of changes in all aspects of the home insurance industry, both locally and internationally.
As a member of the Square One team, you have a desire to contribute to the overall success of the company. You do this by becoming an expert at what you do, directing your own work, and working with a team that has a broader purpose than just making profit. You and those who you work with would describe you as someone who:
- Possesses superior analytical, communication and research skills.
- Has a natural curiosity and enjoys learning.
- Uses creativity and resourcefulness to identify opportunities and overcome challenges.
- Pays close attention to detail and has superior organizational skills.
- Has a strong knowledge of insurance principles.
- Possesses an exceptional ability to conduct secondary research online.
- Provides and receives constructive feedback.
YOUR EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Your experience and education helps ensure your success at Square One. For this role, you have:
- 2 years of property insurance underwriting experience.
- A high level of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong knowledge of conducting secondary research using online tools.
- A degree in business, commerce, economics or marketing.
- A CIP or FCIP designation is preferred.
You appreciate the fact that Square One personalizes your compensation and benefits in the same way it personalizes policies for its customers. Your very competitive compensation and benefits plan includes:
- A competitive base salary.
- 3 weeks of vacation to start and an additional week after 5 years.
- Full MSP coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible medical, dental, vision and extended health care coverage.
- Long-term disability coverage.
- In-house and external training paid by Square One.
WHY WORK FOR SQUARE ONE?
Probably the shortest and simplest answer for why you should work at Square One is that you want to be part of a tight-knit team where each person’s expertise is respected and valued. You’re done working at places that tell you what to do, how to do it, and that don’t compensate you fairly. To learn more about why you should work for Square One, visit:http://www.squareoneinsurance.ca/careers
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please email your resume to email@example.com no later than February 5, 2016. You have our commitment that we will respond to all applicants and inquiries.