Full-Time Farm Underwriter Leader
Our client is a major insurance company located north east of Toronto and growing!
They are committed to profitable growth, team development, ingenuity, while having fun at work. They offer a complete range of insurance products including residential, automobile, commercial, farm and watercraft. They encourage a work-life balance and are looking for an Underwriting Leader to join their team!
The purpose of this position is to oversee the day to day operations across the Farm line of business ensuring effective and timely processing of new, endorsement and renewal business resulting in profitable growth. Leading a team of Farm and Field Underwriters, the Leader, Farm will manage the development of employees, identify and implement opportunities for efficiencies and manage the transaction service levels of the Farm team. The incumbent is looked upon as a both a technical expert in their field as well as a possess leadership capabilities to provide a guidance and mentorship to internal staff and external broker and agent partners.
- Strong ability to review current processes and review for value-add/non-value add opportunities centered around the policy member through continuous improvement.
- Implement and maintain policies, guidelines and procedures in the Farm line of business within the Underwriting department ensuring that underwriting practices adhere with our philosophies while enabling efficiencies and profitability.
- Strong ability to make recommendations to enhance existing manual workflow processes and transform into an automated approach in the policy admin system.
- Using existing reports assist the Business Development department in evaluating current products and services and provide solid recommendations.
Monitor Broker and Agent portfolios, profitability and production results as well as contribute to the evaluation of brokers.
Ability to provide quotes on complex new and existing policies and bind coverage as required.
Liaise with the Claims department to interpret coverages and wordings, monitor claims and provide reports to management on activity and issues.
Provide support to Farm Underwriting team in reviewing Loss Control inspections on Farm and Agri-entertainment related commercial property risks to determine whether they meet underwriting guidelines.
Oversee the completion of all appraisal and risk assessment reports as required.
- Expert knowledge of Commercial General Liability and commercial property risk management, specifically commercial exposures as it relates to farm insurance.
- Expert competency in reading and interpreting all policy wordings relevant to residential, farm and agri-commercial business, including but not limited to XS and Umbrella Liability and less commonly used endorsements.
- A full understanding on reinsurance products available in the marketplace and specifically those available, as well as the necessary process for facultative cession. Expert knowledge of restrictions and provisions of reinsurance treaty.
- Expert knowledge in the ability to undertake, where necessary, the inception and/or renewal of subscription policies as a lead or follower subscriber.
- Expert understanding of relevant regulations, including the Insurance Act and applicable building codes.
- Thorough understanding of current precedent cases on the wording interpretation and potential impacts to exposures assumed and the ability to share this with the other underwriters and claims employees.
- Expert understanding of the underwriting results and the ability to take the required corrective action as necessary.
- Expert efficiency in the use of the policy administration system for all policy transactions and solid understanding of coverage structure, rate and rule operation.
- Expert knowledge of the broker and agent distribution channel, the various tools utilized by the broker and agent and the process interaction between the three parties.
- Interpersonal Skills:
- Exemplifies the necessary skills to support and lead the development of staff within the Underwriting department through training and coaching.
- Active working relationships with all functional units of the organization and our distribution partners.
- Significant breadth of industry contacts including, but not limited to, other Ontario farm mutuals to support competitive intelligence within The Company.
- Conduct quarterly performance appraisals as well as staff performance and development plans where required.
- Lead the interview process and make recommendations on the hiring of new employees
- Communication Skills:
- Strong communication skills at an individual and group level.
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to improve individual and group performance.
- Ability to lead product and technical training to internal staff and external broker/agent partners.
- Ability to clearly communicate The Company’s positioning on issues to internal and external partners.
- Time and Deadlines:
- Leads the Farm team to meet or exceed expectations on process turnaround for inspection reviews, new business, renewal and endorsement transactions.
- Excels at working under pressure and multi-tasking.
- Significant strength in prioritizing competing priorities.
How to ApplyInsurance Career Network is a recruitment firm focused exclusively on the insurance industry. Our relationships, knowledge and leading experience enable us to connect leading insurers, brokerage firm and independent adjusting firms with the most talented candidates for each role. Since 1991, we have been building and nurturing relationships and with over 13,000 registered candidates, we can tap into our highly technical experience for our clients. Our recruiters come directly from insurance related positions and bring a wealth of knowledge to each recruitment assignment. TO APPLY: Send me your resume email@example.com or call me for more information 416 703-5120 x200
76 total views, 8 today