Full-Time Database Administrator
LOCATION: Winnipeg, MB or Altona
REPORTS TO: VP, Data & Analytics
DIRECT REPORTS: N/A
Red River Mutual is a progressive insurance company with a focus on our customers and employees. We believe everyone has a right to feel safe and protected, and to know that someone is looking out for them. So, we treat our employees like family members – we’ll be honest with them, support them, offer a listening ear, admit when we’re wrong and be a positive force in their lives and in our communities.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
As part of the data and analytics team, you will work alongside your team providing technical skill and oversight to business maintaining the highest levels of data competency, accuracy standards and reporting capacity across the Institute.
As an administrator, you will be responsible to:
- Coordinate and perform day-to-day support activities related to databases and associated application components, such as implementing physical definitions, documentation, operational activities, and security;
- Design and implement test and production database environments and reporting services to support project teams’ particular needs and goals. This includes databases as well as the extract/transform/load component and business intelligence component;
- Contribute to the assessment, capacity planning and recommendations of database infrastructure and security requirements for database solutions across all database environments;
- Participate in and enforce the control process by which changes to the databases and/or applications are promoted across to specific environments and fully tested before being deployed to production;
- Proactively monitor and analyze system performance, resource utilization and database performance. Troubleshoot as required;
- Design and maintain policies and procedures for data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets according to compliance requirements and particular project or data warehouse requirements;
- Participate in development of the team’s data management best practices and report development life cycle, ensuring adherence to data security, integrity and establishment of process and standards for report writing and report libraries;
- Participate in development of the strategy for leveraging data to gain a deeper insight into business trends and opportunities. Develop quality, timely solutions that deliver actionable insights;
- Provide production support to business users;
- Consult with vendor(s) and provide technical leadership regarding database or application design that could have an impact on database integrity, sizing or performance;
- Support and ensure effective communication between team members and other functional areas.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
Subject always to the overriding direction and control of the Company’s management, the Employee shall and faithfully fulfill and perform all the following duties:
- Manage overall data architecture; develop, prioritize and recommend initiatives to improve and build upon the data architecture to support the business;
- Champions data management best practices and ensures consistency of process and data usage to maintain data accuracy and integrity;
- Ensures resolution of data conflicts between and within systems;
- Work with internal stakeholders to develop strategies for leveraging data to gain a deeper insight into business trends, opportunities and threats;
- Collaboration in a team environment working with internal and external vendor resources, including an off shore team;
- Practice knowledge transfer and develop and maintain processes as the organization changes and new skills are required;
- Act as technical support and a liaison to troubleshoot data, query and reporting issues;
- Apply Lean values and practices in exercising the duties of this position. Activities are to be performed with an emphasis on accuracy and timeliness and the protection and security of corporate information and assets.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS:
- 3+ years experience in managing large-scale data warehouse applications;
- Completed 4 year post-secondary degree, in Computer science, management and/or related field;
- Experience with complex database environments, data standardization programs, metadata, implementing OLAP applications, redesign of legacy databases;
- Experience in relational databases and ETL/data integration concepts;
- Experience with developing data integration strategies and implementing data standardization programs in complex database environments;
- Experience with MS SQL Server, SQL queries, Cognos, Guidewire Data Hub and Info Center products;
- Demonstrated analytical, prioritization, evaluative, and problem-solving abilities in a high pressure environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills in business and user-friendly language;
- Process driven with ability to document, maintain and adhere to standards, procedures, and processes;
- Adaptable and flexible to changing business needs and priorities;
- Exceptional planning, organization and prioritization skills;
- Highly motivated work ethic and able to be self-directed to complete tasks;
- High attention to detail and quality standards;
- Experience coordinating a variety of project tasks, such as prioritizing and planning work activities, setting appropriate deadlines to complete activities accordingly, and effectively managing time and resources while ensuring project artifacts and deliverables meet business needs and are completed and signed off;
- Lean training/knowledge is desirable as is experience with AGILE and JIRA/Confluence;
- Working knowledge and experience in the insurance industry and the Guidewire InsuranceSuite, including Guidewire Certification, is considered an asset.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to ApplyPlease apply online at: https://redrivermutual.com/about-us/careers/
106 total views, 1 today