Totten Insurance Group is an insurance wholesaler or intermediary specializing in providing solutions and niche products. We deal with a large number of companies, both domestically and internationally, which are all licensed in Canada. NBS/Totten Insurance Group has an immediate opening for a Commercial Forestry Underwriter located in Vancouver, British Columbia. This is a great opportunity for a self-starter with a strong understanding of the Commercial Forestry Underwriting markets in Western Canada. This role is a strategic and tactical role involving collaboration with many HUB stakeholders in providing awareness of our unique product portfolio in British Columbia and Alberta markets.
Benefits in being in this position are: excellent exposure to commercial underwriting expertise, hands on experience and mentorship of an industry veteran, exposure to technical and innovative commercial insurance products, freedom in taking insurance courses to further yourself in your knowledge of insurance, and opportunity to be involved in business development (visits to insurance brokerages, industry events and conventions). By taking the first step to apply, this is your chance to work for one of the leading Insurance Managing Underwriting Agency in Canada!
- Providing underwriting, new business, renewals and endorsements according to underwriting guidelines, authority limits and company standards to support Western Canada markets.
- Map out the Western Canada marketplace for potential clients and create go to market sales and marketing strategy for a successful high volume program while maintaining profitability for our syndicates/carriers.
- Identify collaboration opportunities with HUB and MGA companies in BC.
- Create NBS’s Underwriting Value Proposition for our Forestry products and work collaboratively with the NBS Managing Director, Forestry Mining & Construction.
- Set up best practices and protocols for an effective and productive underwriting satellite office for NBS.
- Presentation of proposals and business plans to Lloyds and other insurer partners with President and Managing Director.
- Thorough knowledge of policy wordings and limitations.
- Responding to broker requests and inquiries on a timely basis.
- Managing relationships with brokers, including acting as the dedicated resource.
- Broker visits when required.
- Search for solutions to complex problems. Act as a guide to others and assist with resolving problems and making decisions with respect to policies and procedures in the Casualty area of Underwriting.
- Processing all assigned work promptly and accurately.
- Working effectively within Program team dynamic.
- Maintain knowledge of company and industry Underwriting policies, procedures and standards.
- Supporting business development and promotional activities in targeted areas (including attending local industry functions)
- Other related duties as may be required
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum 4 years Commercial Underwriting and package experience in Forestry desired
- Previous MGA experience
- Post-Secondary Education or equivalent education and experience
- Experience on TAM or equivalent system an asset
- CIP and/or CAIB an asset
- Track record of successful new business production/sales
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships with peers, brokers, and industry personnel
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel and Outlook
- Approximately 10% travel throughout Western Canada
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in risk selection
- Strong decision making skills and ability to bring creativity to underwriting risks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- A strong work ethic, good organizational skills and the ability to work within a team environment.
- Professional, positive and courteous in all interactions with customers and co-workers.
- Strong attention to detail, time management and analytical skills.
- Drive for excellence in customer service and sales.
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills required.
- Aptitude to understanding insurance concepts, learning new coverages, and applying this knowledge to the sales process.
Totten Insurance Group is Canada’s leading national MGA provider of niche products and innovative solutions. For over 10 years, Totten Group has been servicing brokers across the country and is comprised of five divisions; Personal Lines; Commercial Property; Commercial Casualty; Hospitality; and Professional Liability. Totten Group has offices across Canada including a Corporate Office in Toronto ON, as well as other locations in Oakville ON, Dartmouth NS, Winnipeg MB, Montreal QC, and Vancouver BC. For more information, please visit: www.tottengroup.com.
Please apply online at: