Full-Time Casualty Underwriter
QBE is a Global Property & Casualty Insurer presently operating in Canada using the Lloyd’s of London Franchise. Due to its success in Canada, QBE has established offices in Toronto and Vancouver to develop, underwrite and service commercial insurance business.
QBE is looking for a commercial casualty underwriter to complement its small, dynamic, growing team in Toronto. We are seeking a team oriented individual with positive attitude, strong relationship building skills and a sales focus to contribute to our growing book of business. The successful candidate will have the ability to effectively evaluate and underwrite large and complex commercial casualty risks; a predilection towards precise, detailed tasks, while responding well to pressure situations and deadlines.
To grow and underwrite commercial casualty business in accordance with QBE business plan.
- Analyse annual business plan in order to make strategic decisions for the casualty portfolio
- Underwrite new and existing casualty business by analyzing clients’ business operation, current coverage and previous claims experience to determine exposure and set appropriate terms and premiums
- Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements to ensure obligations are met
- Contribute to recording and measuring of insurance risks to ensure accuracy and good practise
- Identify and develop new business to ensure growth targets are met
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders including customers, brokers, business partners and colleagues
- Utilise knowledge of market dynamics and market cycles to operate effectively and appropriatly
- Meet business objectives, including:
- negotiating rates, terms and conditions for existing and new business and renewals
- managing production and issue contract certainty documentation within set timeframe.
- ensuring compliance with internal and external regulations and guidelines
- ensuring contribution to the business plan and objectives
- Participate in the review and analysis of the portfolio to identify progress toward business objectives
- Contribute to the aggregate management and peer review processes to encourage and develop excellence.
- University degree, college diploma or equivalent qualifications (CIP, FCIP, CRM) preferred
- Minimum 5 years experience writing commercial casualty insurance; property and professional liability experience an asset.
- High level of technical competancy in evaluating and writing large, complex accounts
- Knowledge of pricing and rating methodology, modeling and valuation tools
- Ability to review and understand standard casualty policy wordings
- Ability to analyse data for risk profiling and decision-making
- Market awarness and broker development acumen, proven through established broker relationships and successful track record of new premium generation.
- High level of numeracy and literacy
- Thorough knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements
- Motivated, enthusiastic, dynamic and flexible – willing to work in QBE style/open concept environment
- Strong analytical, organisational and prioritisation skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal, influencing and negotiating skills
- Advanced level understanding of relevant software, including Excel and other departmental software packages.
At QBE, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. We are an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and provide equitable treatment and accommodation to ensure barrier-free employment in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Ontarians with Disability Act. If you are contacted for an interview, please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.
Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially. We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
How to ApplyIf you are Interested in joining our Underwriting team please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting “Underwriter –Casualty” in the subject line.
437 total views, 1 today