Full-Time Auto Underwriter
Job Type Regular Full-Time
Remote Type Hybrid
Location Vancouver, Canada
Love What You Do
Family is part of Definity, a Canadian, multi-channel, property, and casualty insurance company whose success is founded on our family of companies’ long history of delivering a superior experience for those who count on us. We’re proud to help our customers, broker partners, employees, and communities adapt and thrive in a world of constant change. Our success in transforming into a digital leader in our industry is driven by a talented and engaged team with a passion for innovation and high performance.
To us, a seamless user experience is as important as the people behind it. That’s why we hire the most service-oriented individuals in BC and empower them with the tools they need to wow both our broker network and their clients. If a vibrant atmosphere with great people and an ambitious culture sound like your kind of fit, apply to join us today.
Our ambition is to be one of Canada’s leading and most innovative P&C insurers. Come be a part of our journey, and love what you do.
Family offers a flexible, hybrid work experience where employees work from the office and virtually depending on the type of work they are doing and who they are working with. Leaders partner with their teams to find the right balance of on-site and remote work that best meets the needs of their teams, colleagues, brokers, and customers while ensuring collaboration, teamwork, and accountability for goals.
What can you expect in this role?
The Auto Underwriter provides detailed underwriting and risk analysis for the Family Insurance AutoCover product. The incumbent responds to the product or coverage questions and provides guidance to brokers based on Family’s Auto Underwriting manual, participates in post-loss underwriting reviews, and reviews claim referral cases in accordance with the Family’s strategic objectives.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Accept, decline, endorse, renew, or cancel policies following Family’s underwriting risk criteria and procedures, applicable laws, and regulations, subject to the auto binding authority guidelines.
- Answer broker inquiries and make recommendations to brokers through verbal and written correspondence.
- Assist brokers in the usage of Family’s proprietary point of sale (POS) system.
- Provide underwriting binding approval to maintain a profitable book of business and ensure a profit/loss ratio in accordance with the business plan established for the company.
- Understand and effectively communicate the underwriting criteria and guidelines to brokers.
- Participate in post-loss underwriting reviews and reviews of claim referral cases in accordance with the underwriting guidelines.
What you bring to the role?
- Availability and flexibility to support the auto underwriting business hours (Monday to Friday from 8:30am-5:30pm and Saturday from 8:30am-4:00pm)
- Ability to review, research and gather relevant information in order to make effective decisions; displays good judgment and discretion.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of the Auto Underwriting team; the individual must be reliable and dependable, working with minimal supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate and explain the policy wordings and coverage to others in a simple and straightforward manner.
- Contributes to customer success by understanding their needs and responding to them in a timely manner.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
Education & Experience
- 1-2 years’ experience as an auto and/or personal lines underwriter or related industry experience
- Level 1 or 2 General Insurance License, or be prepared to obtain the license within the first 90 days of employment (cost covered by Family)
- CIP courses or CAIB equivalent courses are preferred. Candidates not currently pursuing CIP will be expected to undertake required courses with plans to obtain a designation.
Go ahead and expect a lot — you deserve it, and we’ve got it:
- The hybrid work schedule for most roles
- Company share ownership program
- Retirement savings program with company-matched RRSP contributions.
- Generous time away, including vacation, personal leave, and birthday leave.
- Paid volunteer days and company matching on charitable donations.
- Competitive salary and benefits, including educational resources, tuition assistance, and paid time off to study for exams.
- Focus on inclusion with employee groups, access to BIPOC counselors, and access to programs for working parents.
- Wellness and recognition programs
- Discounts on products and services
How to ApplyYou must be legally entitled to work in Canada. Qualified candidates are asked to please submit a cover letter outlining their suitability for this opportunity and a copy of their resume in one document by visiting Family's careers page at https://careers.familyins.com/?host=careers.familyins.com Family’s office is located in the picturesque Coal Harbour area of downtown Vancouver, close to the seawall, Stanley Park, and public transit. The company offers a supportive and collaborative work culture with great employee perks. We would like to thank all candidates for showing interest in this role and our company; however, only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Our inclusive work environment welcomes diversity and supports accessibility. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting: email@example.com
70 total views, 3 today