Full-Time Assistant Vice President & Product Line Leader, Casualty
Markel Canada Limited is an insurance company established in 1966, with Canadian offices in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. We pride ourselves on being a leader in liability with sector specialties. Our educated underwriters work with clients to offer optimal risk management solutions, and our dedicated claims team ensure each claim is handled promptly, professionally and fairly.
Your success is our success — that’s the Markel Style.
Our parent company, Markel International, is a subsidiary of Markel Corporation, a US-based holding company for insurance and investment operations around the world.
Duties and Accountabilities
Planning and Management Information
- Building from the Division business plan, build and implement the financial and written plans (profit, and in conjunction with the region premium and expenses) for the product alongside the President/DMD, VP Underwriting, Finance, Regions and the Planning and Strategy Group.
- Ensure that Regions receive regular reports on product performance, including but not limited to rate vs plan, loss development, and profitability.
- Collaborates with Regions to conduct market analysis of the product to understand opportunities, challenges and market dynamics, including brokers.
- Work with the VP Underwriting, Regions and Underwriters to conduct an annual review of the portfolio including SWOT and PEST analysis. Propose changes and manage the implementation.
Product Line and Results
- Assist Director, UW Operations, to determine appropriate levels of underwriting authority.
- Act as the primary referral point for business within the product line that exceeds Regional authority.
- Oversee the large loss reporting protocol, including working with Underwriting to analyse large losses, ensuring that lessons learned are incorporated into the product, rating, technical underwriting guidelines or as otherwise necessary.
- Develop and implement new products and enhancements to optimize profitability and growth. Retire products that are no longer market appropriate or unprofitable.
- Develop ancillary product materials including, but not limited to, technical underwriting guidelines, applications, rating worksheets and other underwriting materials.
- Participate in educational and marketing presentations, events, workshops and other market-facing activities as required by the Regions.
- Participate with VP Underwriting and Regions on the integration required to support underwriting as relates to product, market position, pricing, profitability and servicing of underwriting accounts.
- Represent the product at Business Leadership and any other necessary meetings, planning sessions and conferences, internal or external.
Strategy Development and Delivery
- Participate in the research, development and delivery of new initiatives alongside President/DMD, VP Underwriting, Strategy & Development, Regions and Underwriting teams. This includes new territories, distribution, and resources.
- Help the President/DMD and Sales & Marketing coordinate internal and external communications. This includes customer marketing communications, events and presentations (internal and external).
Skills, knowledge and experience
The successful candidate will possess:
- High degress of self-awareness and emoitional intelligence.
- A deep appreciation of the technical underwriting and claims process.
- Superior understanding of the product market including products, key distributors, legal and regulatory factors.
- An understanding of London/Lloyd’s market (including processes and systems) and major insurance and reinsurance products/classes.
- In depth understanding of MINT’s data/reporting systems. The ability to manipulate and present data via MS Excel.
- Superior communication and presentation skills including via MS PowerPoint.
- Self-starter who will use their own initiative to solve problems and complete tasks.
- A problem-solving mindset with an attitude that promotes profitable growth.
- A curious and progressive mind – willing and able to challenge the status-quo.
- Demonstrated capability of working in a collaborative environment, and living the Markel Style.
Pursuit of excellence
- Consistently provides quality work products
- Adapts behaviour to reflect the style of others to foster effective working relationships
- Finds the most efficient and practical means of overcoming challenges
- Actively looks for solutions to customer problems
- Seeks to further knowledge of customer needs
- Builds relationships with customers and responds to needs by demonstrating tact, empathy and professionalism
- Seeks the best and most direct option to accomplish tasks
- Demonstrates effective organisation skills
- Applies logic and draws accurate conclusions from information
- Helps others succeed
- Approaches change in a positive manner
- Listens for and acts on key information
- Holds self and others accountable to ethical standards
- Takes ownership and accountability for own development
Shows accountability and resilience in achieving goals
How to ApplyMarkel celebrates the value of a diverse workforce that brings experience and expertise from a wide variety of backgrounds and life circumstances. Whatever your background, if you feel you meet the requirements of this role then we want to hear from you. Interested applicants may apply directly to firstname.lastname@example.org Markel Canada is committed to a barrier free work environment and to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. The Company will work with all potential candidates during the screening and interview process to meet any specific needs.
172 total views, 9 today